ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT/HR TECHNICIAN
The Town of Wise has an opening for an Accounting Assistant/HR Technician to assist the Treasurer in performing and completing departmental activities and functions that include accounting, billing and collections, wage and benefit administration and human resources support services for various processes and record-keeping functions.
This position will require public governmental accounting and office management experience, as well as a working knowledge of employment laws and regulations governing personnel such as FLSA, FMLA, ADA and EEO compliance; preferably within public sector. The ability to work with highly confidential information, exercise independent judgment and attention to detail with minimal supervision is crucial. The successful candidate will also practice continuous learning through individual study, classroom training, seminars and conferences.Experience with BAI Municipal Software a plus. Qualified candidates will possess a combination of education and experience. A bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field is desired. Considerable experience in data entry, accounting, bookkeeping and collections using automated record-keeping systems, preferably in a Virginia local government setting is desired. Public Sector experience in wage and benefits administration is also desired. Hiring Range: $28,400 - $32,000 DOQ/DOE (+) Benefits. A more detailed job description can be found here JOB DESCRIPTION. The position is open until filled; however, first consideration will be given to applications received by November 24, 2014. The Town of Wise is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply for this position at the Virginia Employment Commission, 1725 ParkAvenue in Norton, Virginia.
November 3rd -November 8th
Beginning 6 AM on Monday November 3rd through 7 PM on Wednesday November 5th, it is anticipated that a portion of E. Main Street from Birchfield Road to Bank Avenue will be closed to traffic for excavation.
E. Main Street will reopen as soon as excavation is complete; however, motoristscan expect delays for the rest of the week due to milling, paving and striping which involve alternating lane closures.
Businesses along E. Main Street will remain open; however, customers will need to park offsite and walk.
Streets affected by the milling and paving include:
E. Main Street
Spring Avenue, NE
Spring Avenue, SE
Nottingham Avenue, SE
Water Street behind the Wise Inn
200 feet on each approach to the Main Street traffic signals at Norton Road, W. Main Street and Birchfield Road
Milling and Paving of the approaches to Main Street traffic signals and E. Main Street will be done at night.
Trucks and through traffic are encouraged to take alternate routes during the week of November 3rd through November 8th and all motorists should expect delays. Everyone should also note that this entire construction schedule is subject to change due to inclement weather.
The Town of Wise is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Provider.
TOWN OF WISE
Effective July 1, 2013 the Town of Wise will no longer be issuing dog tags. All dogs should be licensed and tagged through the Wise County Treasurer’s Office located at the Wise County Courthouse. If you licensed your dog at the Town of Wise Treasurer’s Office, that tag will be honored by Wise County until the tag expires, at which time you will need to obtain a new county dog tag at the Wise County Treasurer’s Office.
Know the rules before your yard sale
The Town Council of the Town of Wise, Virginia adopted Ordinance No. 11, 2012 on August 28, 2012 which amends the rules and regulations for Yard Sales in the Town of Wise.
The following outlines the current regulations for Yard Sales in the Town of Wise:
- You must obtain a Yard Sale Permit from the Zoning Administrator before you have a yard sale, garage sale, rummage sale, moving sale or the like. There is no charge for a Yard Sale Permit; however, it must be available for inspection upon request during your yard sale.
- If you do not have a yard sale permit, you will be in violation of the Town of Wise Zoning Ordinance and subject to penalties as prescribed in said ordinance.
- You may have two yard sales (garage sales, rummage sales, moving sales or the like) per year on a parcel of property. Each yard sale (garage sale, rummage sale, moving sale or the like) cannot last more than three consecutive days.
- You may have a yard sale (garage sale, rummage sale, moving sale or the like) on Residentially Zoned, Commercially/Business Zoned, or Industrially Zoned property provided you have written permission from the property owner.
- If you have a Yard Sale (garage sale, rummage sale, moving sale or the like) on someone else’s property, the sale counts toward the property owner’s maximum number of two sales per year.
- Yard Sales, Garage Sales, Rummage Sales, Moving Sales and the like are to be comprised of only used household items, used clothing, used furniture, used household equipment and the like.
- No misplaced signs. It’s good to get the word out about your sale, but if you put your signs in a spot where laws don’t allow it, they may be taken down. Save your posterboard and your valuable time by knowing where signs can’t go: In public right-of-way, including on power poles, stop signs or other street signs.
- Who’s in charge. The town’s rules about yard sales are enforced by the Wise Police Department and the Wise Planning Department, located in town hall. They are carrying out rules and regulations that can be found within the town’s zoning ordinance. If you have any questions about how to hold a yard sale properly, call Town Planner Laura Mullins at 276/328-6013, extension 223.
Check out the Town's Special Events Facebook Page!