The Wise Town Council will conduct a public hearing on Tuesday, October 28, 2014 at 7:00 pm in Council Chambers of the Wise Municipal Building at 501 West Main Street, Wise, VA for the purpose of soliciting public comment on one application for a conditional use permit to place one 12’ x 24’ two-sided general advertising sign in a B-2 General Business Zoning District. The proposed location for the general advertising sign is 151 Woodland Drive, SW in a B-2 General Business Zoning District. Following the public hearing, the Town Council may or may not take action to approve, approve with conditions, or disapprove the application for conditional use described herein.
A copy of the application is on file in the Town Planner’s office at the Wise Municipal Building where it may be examined by interested parties during regular business hours. Persons requesting auxiliary aids to accommodate a disability in order to attend the public hearing should direct their request to the Town Manager’s office or by phoning 328-6013 (Voice & TDD) at least one week prior to the hearing date.
The Town of Wise is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
TOWN OF WISE
Effective July 1, 2013 the Town of Wise will no longer be issuing dog tags. All dogs should be licensed and tagged through the Wise County Treasurer’s Office located at the Wise County Courthouse. If you licensed your dog at the Town of Wise Treasurer’s Office, that tag will be honored by Wise County until the tag expires, at which time you will need to obtain a new county dog tag at the Wise County Treasurer’s Office.
Know the rules before your yard sale
The Town Council of the Town of Wise, Virginia adopted Ordinance No. 11, 2012 on August 28, 2012 which amends the rules and regulations for Yard Sales in the Town of Wise.
The following outlines the current regulations for Yard Sales in the Town of Wise:
- You must obtain a Yard Sale Permit from the Zoning Administrator before you have a yard sale, garage sale, rummage sale, moving sale or the like. There is no charge for a Yard Sale Permit; however, it must be available for inspection upon request during your yard sale.
- If you do not have a yard sale permit, you will be in violation of the Town of Wise Zoning Ordinance and subject to penalties as prescribed in said ordinance.
- You may have two yard sales (garage sales, rummage sales, moving sales or the like) per year on a parcel of property. Each yard sale (garage sale, rummage sale, moving sale or the like) cannot last more than three consecutive days.
- You may have a yard sale (garage sale, rummage sale, moving sale or the like) on Residentially Zoned, Commercially/Business Zoned, or Industrially Zoned property provided you have written permission from the property owner.
- If you have a Yard Sale (garage sale, rummage sale, moving sale or the like) on someone else’s property, the sale counts toward the property owner’s maximum number of two sales per year.
- Yard Sales, Garage Sales, Rummage Sales, Moving Sales and the like are to be comprised of only used household items, used clothing, used furniture, used household equipment and the like.
- No misplaced signs. It’s good to get the word out about your sale, but if you put your signs in a spot where laws don’t allow it, they may be taken down. Save your posterboard and your valuable time by knowing where signs can’t go: In public right-of-way, including on power poles, stop signs or other street signs.
- Who’s in charge. The town’s rules about yard sales are enforced by the Wise Police Department and the Wise Planning Department, located in town hall. They are carrying out rules and regulations that can be found within the town’s zoning ordinance. If you have any questions about how to hold a yard sale properly, call Town Planner Laura Mullins at 276/328-6013, extension 223.
Check out the Town's Special Events Facebook Page!