Public Notice is hereby given that the Town of Wise Board of Zoning Appeals will conduct a public hearing on Monday May 19, 2014 at 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers of the Wise Municipal Building located at 501 W. Main Street, Wise, VA for the purpose of soliciting public comment with regard to a variance request filed by Linda Skorupa, LLC for a variance in minimum off street parking requirements for a proposed conditional use to be located at 306 Spring Avenue, NE in an R-B Medium Density Residence Zoning District.
The application is on file in the office of the Town Planner where it may be examined by interested parties during regular office hours.
Requests for assistance for persons with disabilities should be directed to the Town Manager’s office or by phoning 276-328-6013 at least one week prior to the schedule public hearing.
The Town of Wise is an equal opportunity service provider and employer
The Town of Wise Planning Commission will conduct a public hearing and Administrative Site Plan review at their regular meeting scheduled for Tuesday May 6, 2014 at 6:00 p.m. in Council Chambers of the Wise Municipal Building located at 501 West Main Street, Wise, VA. When the meeting is called to order, and the public hearing is opened, you or your designated representative may offer input on a site plan for proposed development of a retail establishment to be located along Park Avenue on the property currently designated as 216 and 224 Park Avenue, NE. The Planning Commission will conduct an administrative review of the site plan to insure careful design and compatibility with neighboring conditions in accordance with the terms of the Town of Wise Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Regulations (adopted March 23, 1987). The application for site plan review with accompanying documents may be reviewed during regular business hours in the office of the Town Planner, located in the Wise Municipal Building, 501 West Main Street, Wise, VA 24293. The Town of Wise is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
TOWN OF WISE
Effective July 1, 2013 the Town of Wise will no longer be issuing dog tags. All dogs should be licensed and tagged through the Wise County Treasurer’s Office located at the Wise County Courthouse. If you licensed your dog at the Town of Wise Treasurer’s Office, that tag will be honored by Wise County until the tag expires, at which time you will need to obtain a new county dog tag at the Wise County Treasurer’s Office.
Know the rules before your yard sale
The Town Council of the Town of Wise, Virginia adopted Ordinance No. 11, 2012 on August 28, 2012 which amends the rules and regulations for Yard Sales in the Town of Wise.
The following outlines the current regulations for Yard Sales in the Town of Wise:
- You must obtain a Yard Sale Permit from the Zoning Administrator before you have a yard sale, garage sale, rummage sale, moving sale or the like. There is no charge for a Yard Sale Permit; however, it must be available for inspection upon request during your yard sale.
- If you do not have a yard sale permit, you will be in violation of the Town of Wise Zoning Ordinance and subject to penalties as prescribed in said ordinance.
- You may have two yard sales (garage sales, rummage sales, moving sales or the like) per year on a parcel of property. Each yard sale (garage sale, rummage sale, moving sale or the like) cannot last more than three consecutive days.
- You may have a yard sale (garage sale, rummage sale, moving sale or the like) on Residentially Zoned, Commercially/Business Zoned, or Industrially Zoned property provided you have written permission from the property owner.
- If you have a Yard Sale (garage sale, rummage sale, moving sale or the like) on someone else’s property, the sale counts toward the property owner’s maximum number of two sales per year.
- Yard Sales, Garage Sales, Rummage Sales, Moving Sales and the like are to be comprised of only used household items, used clothing, used furniture, used household equipment and the like.
- No misplaced signs. It’s good to get the word out about your sale, but if you put your signs in a spot where laws don’t allow it, they may be taken down. Save your posterboard and your valuable time by knowing where signs can’t go: In public right-of-way, including on power poles, stop signs or other street signs.
- Who’s in charge. The town’s rules about yard sales are enforced by the Wise Police Department and the Wise Planning Department, located in town hall. They are carrying out rules and regulations that can be found within the town’s zoning ordinance. If you have any questions about how to hold a yard sale properly, call Town Planner Laura Mullins at 276/328-6013, extension 223.
Check out the Town's Special Events Facebook Page!