PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
The Town of Wise will be flushing water lines beginning Sunday, September 21, 2014 and ending on Thursday, September 25, 2014. To the greatest extent possible, this procedure will be completed in the evening after heavy consumption is over for the day.
Wise water customers are advised that there will be possible water discoloration, odor, and/or air present in their water as a result. To avoid any staining of laundry, customers are encouraged to run water from a cold water sink tap before washing any clothes in order to verify that the water is not discolored.
Customers whose hot water heaters are not equipped with a check valve as required by BOCA Plumbing Code are advised to turn their water heaters off while water lines are being flushed in their area.
The Town of Wise regrets any inconvenience caused as a result of water line flushing, but this practice is necessary in order to maintain the integrity of the Town's water system and to best serve you, the water customer.
Public Notice is hereby given that the Town of Wise Board of Zoning Appeals will conduct a public hearing on Monday, September 29, 2014 at 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers of the Wise Municipal Building located at 501 W. Main Street, Wise, VA for the purpose of soliciting public comment with regard to a variance request filed by Outdoor Works of Virginia, LLC for a variance in maximum square footage for general advertising signs for proposed conditional uses to be located at 151 Woodland Drive and along Southmark Road in a B-2 General Business Zoning District. The proposed variances would increase maximum square footage from 200 sf to 300 sf for each proposed general advertising sign.
The application is on file in the office of the Town Planner where it may be examined by interested parties during regular office hours.
Requests for assistance for persons with disabilities should be directed to the Town Manager’s office or by phoning 276-328-6013 at least one week prior to the schedule public hearing.
The Town of Wise is an equal opportunity service provider and employer.
The Wise Planning Commission will conduct a public hearing on Tuesday October 7, 2014 at 6:00 pm in Council Chambers of the Wise Municipal Building at 501 West Main Street, Wise, VA for the purpose of soliciting public comment on two applications for conditional use permits to place two 12’ x 24’ two-sided general advertising signs in a B-2 General Business Zoning District. The first conditional use permit application is to place a 12’x 24’ two-sided general advertising sign on property located at 151 Woodland Drive, SW. The second conditional use permit application is to palce a 12’ x 24’ two-sided general advertising sign on property located along Southmark Road, SW. Following the public hearing, the Planning Commission will review the applications and may or may not make recommendations to Town Council.
A copy of the application is on file in the Town Planner’s office at the Wise Municipal Building where it may be examined by interested parties during regular business hours. Persons requesting auxiliary aids to accommodate a disability in order to attend the public hearing should direct their request to the Town Manager’s office or by phoning 328-6013 (Voice & TDD) at least one week prior to the hearing date.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
TOWN OF WISE
Effective July 1, 2013 the Town of Wise will no longer be issuing dog tags. All dogs should be licensed and tagged through the Wise County Treasurer’s Office located at the Wise County Courthouse. If you licensed your dog at the Town of Wise Treasurer’s Office, that tag will be honored by Wise County until the tag expires, at which time you will need to obtain a new county dog tag at the Wise County Treasurer’s Office.
Know the rules before your yard sale
The Town Council of the Town of Wise, Virginia adopted Ordinance No. 11, 2012 on August 28, 2012 which amends the rules and regulations for Yard Sales in the Town of Wise.
The following outlines the current regulations for Yard Sales in the Town of Wise:
- You must obtain a Yard Sale Permit from the Zoning Administrator before you have a yard sale, garage sale, rummage sale, moving sale or the like. There is no charge for a Yard Sale Permit; however, it must be available for inspection upon request during your yard sale.
- If you do not have a yard sale permit, you will be in violation of the Town of Wise Zoning Ordinance and subject to penalties as prescribed in said ordinance.
- You may have two yard sales (garage sales, rummage sales, moving sales or the like) per year on a parcel of property. Each yard sale (garage sale, rummage sale, moving sale or the like) cannot last more than three consecutive days.
- You may have a yard sale (garage sale, rummage sale, moving sale or the like) on Residentially Zoned, Commercially/Business Zoned, or Industrially Zoned property provided you have written permission from the property owner.
- If you have a Yard Sale (garage sale, rummage sale, moving sale or the like) on someone else’s property, the sale counts toward the property owner’s maximum number of two sales per year.
- Yard Sales, Garage Sales, Rummage Sales, Moving Sales and the like are to be comprised of only used household items, used clothing, used furniture, used household equipment and the like.
- No misplaced signs. It’s good to get the word out about your sale, but if you put your signs in a spot where laws don’t allow it, they may be taken down. Save your posterboard and your valuable time by knowing where signs can’t go: In public right-of-way, including on power poles, stop signs or other street signs.
- Who’s in charge. The town’s rules about yard sales are enforced by the Wise Police Department and the Wise Planning Department, located in town hall. They are carrying out rules and regulations that can be found within the town’s zoning ordinance. If you have any questions about how to hold a yard sale properly, call Town Planner Laura Mullins at 276/328-6013, extension 223.
Check out the Town's Special Events Facebook Page!